Annual Review of Scholarship
Implementation Procedures of Annual Review of Chinese
Government Scholarship for International Students
I. The implementation procedures of the annual review of Chinese Government Scholarships are formulated by Ningbo University in accordance with the Annual Review Regulations on International Student Scholarships issued by China Scholarship Council.
II. The purpose of annual review is to standardize the management of the Chinese Government Scholarships for International Students, to maximize the stimulating effects of the scholarships, to encourage hard work and good performance of international students and to foster international talents both in character and learning.
III. The objects of the annual review are student beneficiaries of the full or partial scholarships of the Chinese Government (Hereby referred to as scholarship students, which include undergraduates, master’s degree candidates, PhD candidates, and non-degree students for further studies at general and advanced levels)
1. Scholarship students who are to study for more than one year at the university are subject to scholarship review once every year.
2. Scholarship students who are about to complete their current studies but wish to do further studies with the support of the scholarships must participate in the annual review of the year in which their current studies are completed.
3. Scholarship students who have resumed their studies with the approval from the university after a suspension due to illness shall participate in the assessment, with their overall performance before the suspension and after the resumption being assessed. The time of their suspension will not be included in the confirmed time frame of their studies.
IV. Contents of the Annual Review:
1. Course achievements: grades of the first semester of an academic year; general performance of the second semester (scores or grades of mid-term exams or quizzes)
2. Attitude: observation of rules on class attendance, diligence in studies, fair grades and comments from course instructors or supervisors.
3. Behavior: Obedience to China’s laws, observation of university rules and regulations, respect for teachers and staff members, participation in university activities, care of university property, etc.
4. Awards and penalties received during the university schooling.
V. Procedures of Annual Review
1. Time: April 20th to May 10th each year.
2. International Office of Cooperation shall be in charge of explaining and issuing the Annual Review Form to the government scholarship students.
3. Students who apply for the scholarship of the subsequent academic year must fill in the first page of the form, and then submit it to the International College.
4. The annual review of scholarship for students of Chinese language and culture shall be based on the students’transcripts, course instructors’comments, and other aspects of their overall performance specified above under Contents of the Annual Assessment.
5. The annual review of scholarship students doing advanced studies in various colleges (departments) shall be based on the transcripts issued by their colleges (departments) together with their teachers’ comments and other aspects of their overall performance specified above under Contents of the Annual Review. The review results shall be signed by the department chairman and then be submitted to the International Office of Cooperation.
6. The annual review of scholarship students of degree programs offered by various colleges (departments) shall be based on the transcripts issued by their colleges (departments) together with their teachers’ comments and other aspect of their overall performance specified above under Contents of the Annual Assessment. The review results shall be signed by the department chairman and then be submitted to the International Office of Cooperation.
7. The annual review of government scholarship students who are in the phase of writing the degree thesis shall be based on the comments on the students’overall performance during the semester provided by the students’ supervisors. The supervisors’comments are to be signed by the department chairman and then be submitted to the International Office of Cooperation.
8. The International College shall fill in the second page of the review form by integrating the comments of the students’ departments and supervisors (teachers) in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry of Education. The review forms shall be officially sealed and signed by the head of the International Office of Cooperation and then be submitted to China Scholarships Council before May 31 each year.
9. China Scholarships Council shall notify Ningbo University of the review results before June 30 each year, and the university will then notify the students concerned. If necessary, the embassies of the students’ home countries in China or the institutions from which the students have been sent will be notified.
VI. The results of the Annual Review will be either Pass or Fail. Those with the Fail results shall have their eligibility for the scholarships terminated at the beginning of the following academic year. The duration for scholarship termination is one academic year. Students with their scholarships terminated can submit written applications to the University for Continuing Studies at the university. If their applications are approved, they can do so by paying full or reduced tuition fees.
Students who have their scholarships terminated but have been permitted to continue their studies at Ningbo University can apply for restoring their eligibility for the scholarship after the termination period is over. The applicants must submit to the university written applications, which are to be approved through the verification process in accordance with relevant regulations. Upon the university’s approval, the applications shall then be submitted to China Scholarships Council for authorization. Students who have withdrawn from Ningbo University after having their scholarships terminated are not eligible to restore their scholarships.
VII. In principle, students who fall into any of the following categories shall not pass the Annual Review.
1. Undergraduate students who fail in two or three main courses in one semester even after makeup exams.
2. Master’s degree candidates who fail in two degree courses, or fail in one degree course in a single semester even after a makeup exam.
3. PhD candidates who fail in one degree course.
4. Any graduate student that is deemed as unsuitable for further studies or shows obvious lack of research ability during dissertation writing.
5. Students who violate examination regulations.
6. Students who have received one Serious Warning or above or two Written Warnings as disciplinary actions from the university due to various offences.
7. Students who are to be dismissed due to various offences. Students who do not participate in the Annual Assessment without valid reasons shall have their eligibility for the scholarships canceled.